Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Go with the Flow

I was talking to a friend just a little while ago, and they said sometimes you need to go with the flow...this was about a trivial matter that I was jokingly being very rigid about (I think it had to do with like a type of potato chip of something of that nature). Anywaz, it got me to thinking...in this instance going with the flow meant nothing really, but going with the flow often lends itself to destructive behavior, the kid with his new license caught street racing the family minivan; agreeing to go to the party you shouldn't be at and compromising your beliefs and morals. My mom wrote a little quote in the front of a Bible that I have, "If you do not stand for something, you will [CERTAINLY] fall for ANYTHING."

I began to think about this in a deeper way along with going (or not) with the flow: Peter (of the Bible) was called the rock, "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it." Matthew 16:1. Really as Christians we are all called to be a rock...a solid place on the foundation of Christ. But I ask you, "How can we be a solid place, where someone can stand; if we are going with the flow?" Can you hold onto a rock as it rolls down stream? NO! Can you stand on a rock as it rolls down stream? NO!

Be firmly planted in the Word of God:

"10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil...13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— 19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak." Eph 6:10-11, 13-20 (NKJV).

Think on this one last question I pose, "What kind of impact does a rock on the side of a stream have on the stream in comparison to a rock located in the center of the stream?" If you want to know what I think you will have to wait; but a clue is to use the above verses...oh suspense...can't wait I bet...

Well, thank you for reading, it has been a pleasure.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Andrew! I am studying what it means to live a life of no compromise and this post just really...really challenged me even more to not go with the flow...to stand for what I believe even when it is not comfortable...thank you for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Standing for God is always the right thing to do. Although sometimes it is good to just go with the flow over something that isn't important, doesn't agree with your plans, or something that can't be proven to be right or wrong. But if the situation involves going against what God says, definitly go against the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, Sarah sent me your page, and I was so glad to see you are still walking and talking your love of Christ Jesus, and meditating in His Word day and night. Follow those who through faith and patience have inherited the promises of God...Hebrews 6:12

    ReplyDelete