Sunday, July 19, 2009

July 18th, Saturday, 4:00 AM. A Week in Review.

Monday.
Monday was spent driving down and getting ready for campers. I was assigned security and go-fer. (Go-fer them parts, go-fer that water jug.) I would follow Chip Wood around and wait for him to tell me what to do next. That was very interesting because when ever I would finish a task I would have to go find Chip and find out the next thing. It was hard for me not because the tasks were difficult but because I constantly was in between work and I felt like I was wasting a lot of time.

Tuesday.
Tuesday was spent in very much the same way as Monday, but I painted the paintball box for most of the day with Stephanie and started my other job as a Lamoka Dish Fish. I ended up painting on the box and completely forgetting that I had an elective to teach, archery. Garret ended up teaching it for me but I didn’t even remember that I had to teach it. Tuesday night I did security around campus. All that entails is locking up, turning on lights, and walking around campus making sure those who are supposed to be on campus are on campus and those who are not supposed to be on campus, leave campus.

Wednesday and Thursday.
Wednesday I realized that my days on camp are repetition in most areas. I am security at night, maintenance during the day while doing odd jobs for Chip Wood, and dish fish after meals. It actually was a lot of fun because of the variety kept it from getting monotonous and also helped me get to see other aspects of camp that I had never seen before. I stayed up till about 2:30 Thursday morning making sure that all the kids were staying in there cabins and praying that there would be no walkers (people from one of the four bars that surround camp who have had their car keys revoked).

Friday.
It was kind of sad today because it was the last full day of camp. It was encouraging to hear about all the decisions that were made last night at the bonfire. The bonfire seems to be one of the most powerful nights. It is nothing that we do, but God does such a work in everyone, not just the campers but staff as well, on that night.

Saturday.
Looking back, this week was a struggle for me. It was challenging because I had no campers. I really wanted to be involved with the spiritual development of campers and staff but as security you really don’t have a lot of time to be with a group of kids or to talk to staffers because you are going from one thing to the next trying to get all the jobs done as effectively as possible.

I feel and know that I accomplished a lot this week; but I wish I could have had a bigger impact on more kids. It was good to have some of the staffers and counselors tat I know pretty well to come up to me and encourage me with words or a look, and also to have some of those same people ask me to pray for them and just be open and honest with me. Looking forward toward next week I will need lots of prayer because of the number of campers that are coming and the number of counselors we have. The ratio now looks like for the guys as a 1:8 ration of a counselor and 8 campers and for the girls 1:6. don’t think that I am worrying about this because I do know that God will take care of all of us; but I would like you guys to be praying for the camp that we would be able to bring more of the staff back because right now they can’t afford to have everyone, but also that the registries would come in since registration is about half of what the camp capacity is.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! That sounds kinda like a job I'd want to have! Keep it up! So are you back at camp again this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a chance to see the lives of those kids change is really cool. Sounds like a pretty good week to me. Oh and i found your blog, well pretty randomly and thought i'd comment hope u don't mind if i read and comment some. =]

    ReplyDelete