Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Just Some Thoughts...

Today I was just kinda sitting here thinking, being in a Christian atmosphere, how loose a lot of the guys are with their language. Not swearing, but just the way they talk about other things. I realize that not everyone is as “strict” with the words they speak as me, but I feel that we as Christians should rise above things “questionably close” to what the world would think nothing of to talk about or say. Coming into Davis as a transfer student I don’t have any “leverage”…authority is a better term, but just some of the guys, even the seniors, are great encouragers; but then talk about trash, just plan garbage and its sad.

So if you get a chance, please, just pray for me. Its hard to strive after God when I feel like I am the only one who wants to be pure in all areas of my life. The thing that kills me though is that this is a Bible college, a Christain college…but I feel like it is just becoming a “christian” college…

I finally got a chance to read "My Utmost for His Highest" about 12:40 because I did not have enough time to read it yet today. The verse was 1 Peter 1:16, “Be ye holy, for I am holy.” This is the second time going through this book, and immediately I remembered what this devo was all about. The last paragraph states, “Never tolerate through sympathy with yourself or with others and practice that is not in keeping with a holy God. Holiness means unsullied (is synonymous with pure, clean, unblemished, faultless, untarnished, or immaculate; I like untarnished as we are called to be His vessels and be pure, like a pure silver which can become tarnished unless careful attention is paid to it each and every day to keep it clean) walking with the feet, sullied [untarnished] talking with the tongue, [untarnished] thinking with the mind—every detail of the life under the scrutiny of God. Holiness is not only what God gives me, but what I manifest that God has given me.”……………………wow…we have been called to life without reproach, staying pure, unsullied in all manner of conduct; both in front of Christians and non-Christians alike. It doesn’t matter how long or short of a time that we have been a Christian…God has called all of His children to be examples of himself, and sometimes we might need to act as if He was with us…cause He is.

As I end, I just want to say thank you to all of you who have stood by me in pray and in word.

3 comments:

  1. You have my prayers! Even though you don't have any leverage/authority you're still an example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AL, Swim upstream man! You be an example of purity in speech and evry area. I love it when God's Word addresses exactly the issue that I am wrestling with. I see it as God setting me up to underscore a key area of growth potential for me that day! Keep your eyes and ears open for more... maybe a test of this principle. I am praying for your 1. spiritual growth 2. development of great friendships that challenge you to be holy together with brothers headed there too 3. righteousness with regard to the subject we chatted about recently. I am bummed that you had to figure out that not all that goes on in a christian college is distinctively christian.... but I am super excited that you figured it out early!!
    I love you man! You go!
    Pastor Mike (your #1 fan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so how bout i had no idea who you were until i stalked your profile for a picture.... i was scared that some creeper from davis that i didnt know following my blog... the end

    ReplyDelete